Pages

Thursday 16 February 2012

Why "Vermont" Curry?










My kids like Japanese curry.  They've tried it at cafes and some Japanese joints, so I thought I'd make it for them just for fun. Right out of the box. I love the way the Japanese can take something, tweak it, make it sweeter, milder, more delicate somehow, package it carefully into a pretty box, and give it a catchy name so it becomes something so uniquely Japanese.

I have no idea why they call it "Vermont Curry".  Until today, I wasn't even sure what went into it.  Now according to the box, apart from curry powder, there's also (among other things) onion powder, milk powder, tomato powder, fruit paste (including banana), honey, cheddar and gouda (!), peanut butter (!!), apple, cocoa, garlic paste, and of course, food colouring and MSG.

This is not something you want to feed your kids (or anyone) very often since it is composed primarily of sodium and saturated fat.  But it was quite astonishing to see both of mine drown their rice in the gravy and polish off their plates in under 7 minutes.

All I did was cut up the meat, carrots, potatoes and onions into bite-sized pieces, saute in a saucepan till the meat was browned, add water, bring to a boil, then add the sauce mix (which comes in a neat, no-mess block resembling a chocolate bar), and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.  It couldn't have been easier.  And it's all on the box anyway.


I did have the kids chomp down a few mouthfuls of steamed broccoli as well, and we finished dinner off with a generous serving of fresh fruit.  It made me feel a little better.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear from you.